Saturday, June 12, 2010

Golden Hours

So before I continue with  my post, I'll say that I've realized I can't really continue trying to post a photo a day here. I don't take a photo I feel is worth sharing every day, and my time is somehow more limited now than it was during the school year. So I'll be posting photos whenever I feel like I've taken one worth sharing from here on out.

I just spent three days in southern Utah on a camping trip. Photography opportunities were a little more scarce than I had hoped, but I still got what I feel were two good shots.






click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 10 seconds
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 39mm
Tripod








click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/250
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 18mm
Tripod



Turns out sunset and sunrise are really good times for photography. Who knew?

I admit to some artistic recoloring of the first photo, that probably got a bit out of hand. But I decided the red was a little more interesting than a completely blue photo. Looking at it now, I think I'll go back and re-do it to look more believable sometime. That red of red is overkill.

The second one I really like, except I'm kicking myself for not using a narrower aperture and really cranking an awesome star-flare out of the sun. Oh, wait, I did. But somehow on all the shots I took at f/22, the entire picture was overexposed without my correcting for it in-camera. And since I forgot to switch to RAW shooting before I took this, I didn't have the tools to fix the exposure and keep my flare. Oh, well. Live and learn. There are other great places to shoot sunrises.

1 comment:

  1. I understand about the limited time. Summer activities seem to keep us all busy, and keeping up with a daily shot can be tough, especially when short on time. It's hard to have that money shot every day, but you should always have the camera with you "just in case!" These shots are amazing by the way - I love the colors in the first one even if they are artistically enhanced! Loving the lines in the 2nd one as well! Nicely done! Keep up the posting when possible!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!