Friday, June 4, 2010

More Perspective

I noticed a cool-looking flower today while doing some yard work. It looked pretty symmetrical from the top, in an interesting way. So I decided to photograph it from that angle.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/40
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 100mm
Tripod



Didn't turn out quite like I hoped. Though the angle is good and the DoF is okay, I think I want to be more careful on the focus for the very top part of the flower. Also, as the top of the flower is a definite highlight, the exposure was clipped to high for it. So I'll probably go back and re-shoot this one on a cloudy day (or using some sort of diffuser to block the sunlight).

2 comments:

  1. You don't have to wait for a cloudy day. Bump your EV down to -1 or so and see if that helps. You find amazing details just by adjusting the exposure bias. Cool shot though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or try going during a different part of the day - morning or early evening. It seems I always have my exposure compensation bumped down a point or two. It's always better to underexpose as it's much easier to bring levels up in PP. Cool shot though. The flower looks sort of like origami!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!