Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shooting a Ghost Town

Not far out of Death Valley, there's a small ghost town called Rhyolite. It's the first opportunity I've had to shoot anything like this, and I really really enjoyed it. The ruins really made for some awesome black and white shots, and the clouds were being particularly cooperative.

At any rate, here's my favorite shot from there, although to be fair, I haven't tried editing any of the others yet.



Ruins
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/250
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 18mm
Monopod



Depending on the weather (it snowed 4 inches here last night), I may try to hit a bunch of ghost towns in Utah and do some photography.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Nice shot!

    I started photography when I was 18, although I wasn't as interested in photographing ghost towns as I was in photographing my then girlfriend.

    But in the 70's, I lived in a tiny old mining village in New Zealand, which had aspects of a ghost town. 2 miles up the road was another totally deserted coal mining village, with the old mine works partly in ruins. I was only doing B&W those days, and spent quite a bit of my spare time there, photographing somewhat similar bits of industrial archeology.

    My current photography is also about documenting traces of the past, but more in terms of documenting still existing elements of traditional living in ethnic minority groups in northern Laos, http://www.pbase.com/kees5/root&view=recent

    BTW, a second cousin of yours, one of Uncle Henks granddaughters is a photographer in the Netherlands, she's got a website, I'll see if I can find a link for you to see.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!