Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sometimes You get Lucky

When we were in Death Valley National Park this past week, I had something really awesome happen to me. As my dad and I were driving from one part of the park to the other, we passed a coyote walking up the road in the opposite direction. I'm not much of a wildlife photographer, but I figured it would be worth the picture. So we stopped in the middle of the desolate road and turned around. By the time we were facing the other direction, I looked out the windshield and saw... the same coyote, running back towards our car. It proceeded to sit politely about 5 feet from my window, waiting for me to feed it something. He didn't seem to mind when I switched lenses twice to get a variety of different shots. And at one point, when I had the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens out, he yawned, timing it perfectly with my burst shooting.



Coyote
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/160
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 100mm
Handheld





Yawn
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/400
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 100mm
Handheld



So let's stop for a moment and list all of the things that converged for these lucky shots:

1) We saw a coyote
2) This coyote had been fed, and was therefore extremely tame
3) I was within easy reach of my camera gear
4) It was overcast, in Death Valley (which happens maybe once a year), providing bright, but very diffuse light
5) It was 78°F outside, rather than 120°F, which I suspect is why the coyote was out in the first place
6) He yawned just like that exactly when I had my best lens on for the job.

I couldn't have planned for better conditions. Thank you, nature.

1 comment:

  1. These are great shots. I had a similar thing happen with a Blue Heron. I thought of myself as a Great Wild Life Photographer sneaking up on the Heron, and was able to take several shots before it flew away. Later that same day, the heron landed between my children on the doc, and waited for them to put fish in a bucket, so that he could eat them. So much for the wild wildlife. I did get some great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!