Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cooperative Subjects

I have rarely had success photographing birds of any type. The vast majority of them are far to skittish to get a good photo of with a 55 mm focal length. But at the same place as this photo was taken, there was a massive flock of seagulls that were all too eager to pose for me once somebody broke out a few pieces of bread.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/800
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 55 mm
Handheld



Through photos like these (and there are a few more good ones of seagulls from this shoot that I might eventually post), I've learned that I am a huge fan of action shots that freeze motion. This one isn't quite perfect—1/800 of a second left a tiny bit of blur around the tips of the wings. But I look forwards to doing more stop-action shots.

1 comment:

  1. What a great shot! And a little blur simply gives the impression of motion - I can't see it without magnification anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!