Monday, March 22, 2010

Sports Photography

Most of the members of the large choir at my school are on tour in California right now, so those of us who are left went outside and played Ultimate Frisbee during that class today. Halfway through, I decided I wanted to try and get some pictures. It was really sunny outside, so I was able to get fast shutter speeds even though my lens is pretty slow (f/3.5-5.6).







click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/500
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 55 mm
Handheld



Though I wasn't afraid of getting in close to do these, I think I would have been much better off with a telephoto lens. 55 mm really just doesn't cut it for sports in most cases.

Also, I had issues with focus. I was on servo AF and burst mode, but it still seems like a crap shoot as to whether or not the AF will be fast enough to get the shot. I guess that is just more confirmation for the case that you need to take a large volume of photos when shooting sports.

About 50 pictures in, I decided I wanted faster shutter speeds to completely freeze the action, so I bumped up my ISO to 200. I was a little frustrated that I had to be shooting at 200 ISO on a day with no clouds and a bright sun, but that's just because I have a slow lens. Now I know why they can charge $3000 for about 3 stops worth of aperture.


Anyway, I got a few pictures I was pretty happy with, so I'll probably be sharing them for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Nice action shot! I like that you got the thrower, receiver, and defense all in one shot. If you haven't figured it out already, I LOVE Ultimate Frisbee. Telephoto lenses definitely do help. So far I've used the Sports mode on my camera (it keeps taking photos as long as you hold down the shutter so that you make sure you get the right shot), but will try some other settings because I also have trouble with the focusing (sports mode only allows auto focus, which sometimes picks the wrong thing to focus on).

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!