Saturday, November 28, 2009

Portraits, Part I

I have a very cute cousin. She is extremely difficult to capture indoors, because she doesn't like to stay in one place for more than a second or two. This is compounded by the fact that I don't have a DSLR. My widest aperture is 2.6, and I can't go above 400 ISO without getting into the range of unbearable grain. So basically I was stuck with 1/25ish shutter speeds. After several action shot attempts, I gave up and asked her to just pose for a second. Luckily, she complied.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr


Despite my best efforts, it's still a bit blurry. The background is super distracting, and the composition is iffy. But I'm kind of a portrait noob, so improvements will come, all in good time.

I just realized how similar this post is to Gallow's latest. I promise I took this before I saw your new one.

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting how we had similar photos on the same day. lol I think you were running into the same problems that I was running into.

    I'm also very new to portraits, and hope to learn more. I took a photograph of our whole family that day. After I took the photo I realized that I needed to balance the people better. The tall people were on the right, and the short people were on the left. I should have place the shorter people on the outside, and the taller people in the back and in the middle. Oh well, at least I continue to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!