Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shooting Stage Productions

Yesterday I went to see Peter Pan at the high school for the second time. Frankly, I should have been in Peter Pan. I love doing shows, and every single person in the cast is a friend of mine, but I didn't think I would have time once I got a job again.

That aside though, my camera performed admirably in the low-light conditions, with the help of my dad's three fastest lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 135mm f/2. This particular picture was shot with the 85mm, but I think I used the 135mm for the majority of the 300 photos I shot that night.





click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/2.2
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 1600
Focal Length: 85mm
Monopod



Good times. I was forced to use 1600 ISO the entire night, but with the speed of the lenses, and using TV so as to avoid continually making aperture adjustments while trying to capture the action, I was getting shutter speeds in the 1/200-1/250 range, which is just right for what I was trying to shoot.

Moral of the story: buy fast lenses.

Also, apologies for not posting yesterday. I was helping to run, and performing in, the state Solo & Ensemble festival.

1 comment:

  1. Great lighting, vivid color, nice and sharp, frozen action capture for such a high ISO. It's a really good photograph, like it could be in a Playbill or a magazine. Ah, to have fast lenses. (at least I have ONE.. my 50)

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!