Sunday, May 30, 2010

Artsy Portraiture

To finalize and round-off my portfolio before I print it, I've been going portrait crazy for the past week. I decided I had enough "standard" style portraits in there, so I went for a couple of different-ish ones.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/5
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50mm
Monopod






click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/4
Shutter Speed: 1/100
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50mm
Handheld


I mostly decided to go black & white because it makes the photo's tone a little more serious and reflective, which helps compensate for models that have a hard time not smiling. :)

Anyway, these are the last two portraits I'll show you for a while. Last night I did some fun light painting with a new remote shutter release I bought (infrared) at a sick discount from the camera store where I work. Makes things very fun. And in case you were interested, tomorrow I buy a joystick-style ball head for my tripod and monopod. Buying camera gear is the bomb.

In other news, today I began construction on my official website at http://www.andrewbphotography.com. There's a link on the side of this page if you don't feel like typing. It won't be done until sometime this week probably. I am also looking at a real domain name (andrewbphotography.com) and pricing for a host, etc. So this site might not be around for very long. We'll see. Hopefully this will help me get some paid portraiture work over the summer and kind of jump-start my semi-pro photography "career."

2 comments:

  1. I think the top portrait is my favorite of the ones you've shown us here. Well done!

    Um...so can you get your "friends" a discount where you work too? (JK)

    You should be able to get your own domain name for $10-$15 and you should be able to find hosting for $10 or less/year. GoDaddy.com is where most people go (including me) for both services - while I normally seek out the most rock-bottom prices on things, in this case, there's benefits to going with someone who's been around a while and is likely to stay in business for a while.

    Can't wait to see the new site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the portraits. What did you find to be the most difficult part of the process? What was the easiest?

    I was asked this weekend by a couple of Juniors if I did High School Portraits. I told them that I didn't have the equipment, or the experience. Perhaps I should go back and tell them to let me use them to gain experience, and if they don't like the results they still have time to go to a Professional.

    I've noticed that the professional in our area does some really interesting things with lighting and exposure with his Black and White photos. His site is http://www.isafmerkur.com/

    I like his work.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!