Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weeping Hearts

I know that title sounds ridiculously corny. But it's the name of the plant featured in this post, and I must say it's pretty accurate. Once again, I shot this indoors, so I didn't have to deal with wind. I love that.





click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/2
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 100mm
Tripod



I liked the lines from this shot, although the angle wasn't super creative. That being said, my original idea of having the line start closer to the lens and go further away from it, and at a slight angle to create more depth, didn't work out. Even at f/32, I had too much blur.

To compensate a little for the boring angle, I added a tiny bit of Orton effect. I had to try a lot of adjustments and stuff before I was happy with it... too much Orton looks bad; I've found myself getting more and more subtle about it with each time I apply it.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a boring angle at all! These are one of my favorite plants to have in hanging baskets! I think they are also called Fuschia. I love the color and lines of this shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has such a dynamic quality - they have a "dripping" or a "bleeding" quality that gives the flower and this composition life! The colors and exposure look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,

    This is a fantastic shot! It has so many neat elements i.e. Great colors, Curvey lines, dripping. At the same time, it seems very simple. Great balance. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!