Monday, May 10, 2010

Experimentation with Shadow

Don't ask why the title of this photo is "Assassinate." It's a really long story. And not the kind that's funny, just the kind that makes you say "I wish I hadn't asked why the title of that photo is 'Assassinate.'"

Anyway, I was playing around with different directions and distances of light. I found that when the light source is further away from the subject, the shadows are more defined. Not wanting too many harsh shadows that would make the photo too busy (and distract from the simplicity that is one of the features of the Motionless set), I opted for one of the shots that had the light source closer.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/10
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 55mm
Tripod



I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. If I could change one thing, I would have made the light a little more directional from the side. The image could use slightly more contrast. And the DoF is a little shallower than I wanted, but that's not too distracting.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose if one were an egg, one would understand why it was called Assassinate...

    I like the shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this.. it has a very abstract feel to it. I believe it's probably the lighting and extreme shadows and contrast that gives it the abstractness. Or probably the very narrow DoF that gives you the 'essence' of the object. Either way, I really like it. Nice conversion too.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!