Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snowflakes

For the past couple of weeks, I've been heading out to start and scrape my car so it could defrost in time for me to get to my early-morning class. Every morning, I've noticed the ice crystals on the windows, and told myself to get a macro shot. And every morning, I've decided against it because I was too cold and/or tired and/or late.

This morning, there was just a SLIGHT dusting of snow all over my windows and hood. It wasn't the normal frost, but it still looked cool. I turned on my headlights, which reflected off the garage door and back onto the snowflakes. Since I was already going to be late, I figured I might as well bite the bullet. And aside from that, the snowflakes looked great, even with the naked eye. I knew I wouldn't have a chance like this again anytime soon.

I went inside, put on my macro lens, and attached my gorilla pod. Then back outside, I put up the tripod on my hood, got all my exposure settings in order, and was preparing to push the shutter release, when... dead batteries. Mother Nature has a cruel sense of irony. I went back inside, switched out my batteries, and repeated those last steps. When I work with macro and a gorilla pod, I set the timer to wait 8 seconds (to allow for the gorilla pod to stop shaking), and shoot 3 exposures, in case something gets bumped, a gust of wind comes up, etc.

This entire episode took place in 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit. The shutter speed was 8 seconds, since I refused to compromise on ISO. Each shot took another 8 seconds to process. So all in all, about a minute of standing around, waiting for timers and exposures, in the 1.3 degree Utah morning at 6:30.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr


Turns out, sometimes it's worth the extra effort (give or take a few frostbitten fingers).

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This really is amazing! Awesome that you've already gotten to use your gorilla pod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic. you're right... it is much better on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is excellent!!!!! I'm glad you took the time to capture the moment. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was worth the wait. This photo is surreal. Smart move with the 8 second delay.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!