Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Reflection Experiment

I've been noticing for weeks while driving that little pools of melted snow collect along the curbs, and have pretty startlingly clear reflections. I finally had some free time today, so I went out and shot the first one I could find. It had a pretty interesting subject in the reflection, but the composition is super iffy.





click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/250
ISO: 80
Monopod


Also, the photo has too many elements in it. It's hard to decide what to look at. The one good thing that can be said about this is that the exposure went really well. That doesn't make up for the fact that I would rather look at the histogram than the photo though.

Oh, well. One of these days, I'll see a good shot in one of these pools, and pull over and take it. Inspiration seems to strike when it's most inconvenient. But that's when I need to take it.

2 comments:

  1. Lots to look at but in a good way. The line of the curb and the partial framing of the reflection by the snow is cool. I also like how the reflection shows what is cut off above.

    You should checkout my reflection meme. It's every weekend at Newtown Area Photo. (11am fri thru 11pm sun)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, totally put this in "Weekend Reflections!" I have fun with that one! I wouldn't worry too much about composition. When it comes to reflection shots, the subject of the image is the interesting reflection that is created! They are allowed to be random and imaginative. I like the composition here. I definitely have a lot of fun chasing reflections - whether it be in a puddle, on ice, in an object or something shiny - a window, etc. Nice job on this reflection - it's super clear and creates a nice mirror.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!