Saturday, February 6, 2010

iPod Macro

Last Saturday, I ordered a new iPod with some birthday money. This was to be a replacement for the iPod that got smashed in a luggage compartment on the plane home from New York City last April. I've been almost a year without one, and let me tell you. It's been tough.

Anyway, it got here yesterday, and it's awesome. I figured with the bright colors, etc. it would make a cool macro if I set it carefully on a white background.





click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/2.6
Shutter Speed: 1/8
ISO: 80
Gorilla Pod



All I did in post was set the white balance using the technique discussed in this post, and then add what I call a "reverse vignette," which is just a white-to-transparent radial gradient from the center to the corners, with the layer style set to Overlay, at whatever opacity suits you. I used 30% here. It helps draw the eye to the center, but is even less noticeable than a vignette.

Other than that, this is the first photo that has ever made me wish for a light box. There are millions of tutorials out there to make your own for cheap-as-free, so maybe I'll try one out, just to get that literally perfect white background.

1 comment:

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!