Saturday, January 16, 2010

Beginning of Blue

The DPS challenge I talked about in my last post sounded interesting, so today I started taking pictures of blue stuff for the weekend. I got a chance to try out my new monopod that I got for my birthday (woot!), and got lucky with a nice capture right off the bat.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/640
ISO: 80
Monopod



Normally I strongly dislike tilted shots like this with the horizon purposely skewed. But I kind of like how it made the picture feel. It's a swing; you're not supposed to be perfectly level.

Hopefully I'll get enough shots to do another collage, this time in blue. I've started tagging all my photos with the dominant color so I can do things like that a little more easily. And by "easily," I mean "with less wading through folders looking for specific photos."

2 comments:

  1. Nice blue shot! Good use of DoF, and I agree that the horizon definitely should not be straight for a shot like this. The focus is not the horizon, but the shape of the swing itself, and therefore the horizon doesn't matter! You can probably even crop this to 1:1 and get rid of some the right hand side of the photo altogether. But I do like the interesting shape of the swing and the predominant blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice creativity on the composition of this! I love being able to read the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!