Sunday, January 24, 2010

More Experimentation into Stereophotography

As I'm pretty sure I mentioned, I got a monopod for my birthday. With this new addition to my arsenal, I felt pretty good about taking another shot at stereo. My approach is to use my monopod to take the first shot, with the viewfinder of the camera at my right eye, a specific point in the photo centered, and any sort of horizon carefully straightened. Then I move the monopod so that the viewfinder is at my left eye, center the same point, and make sure the horizon is lined up. In theory, I figured, this would closely emulate what my eyes were seeing, which is kind of the point of stereo.




click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/2.6
Shutter Speed: 1/5 (both)
ISO: 400
Monopod



If you're familiar with viewing techniques for stereophotography, you'll see that it kind of worked. Pretty much like every other photo of this type that I've tried. Kind of isn't good enough for me, so if anyone has suggestions, ideas, tips, etc. for getting this right, both in taking the photos, and in post, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I think it might be more effective if the objects were closer to the camera. Like if I'm looking across the room and look through one eye and then the other, it doesn't look all that different. But if I have something right in front of my face and do that, it's a drastically different view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I found a stereoscope in my Great Aunts things. I've been taking pictures of her things lately for my 365 project since it's been raining for two and half weeks! I never thought of actually trynig to make my own!!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!