Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some Minor DoF Issues

Today's post is early because I'm going to be gone all day. The district honor choir of which I'm a part is performing Mozart's Requiem in Provo today, under the direction of Mack Wilberg! Yesterday I had a 7-hour rehearsal with him, and I'm leaving to an all-day rehearsal in about 10 minutes.

Yesterday when I was doing indoor macros, I got this shot, too. Not as satisfying, but it's one of the better indoor macros I've done.





click to enlarge, or see it on Flickr
Aperture: f/2.6
Shutter Speed: 1/125
ISO: 80
Tripod



The flower area that I'm primarily interested in is sharply in focus. But the pollen is only somewhat in focus. This is, of course, a result of my f/2.6 aperture, but when I tried the same shot at wider apertures, I found I had the same problem. I discovered that the problem is actually my macro lens. It does great close-ups, but the widest depth-of-field I can get with it is roughly equivalent to f/2.8. So this may be another photo that requires two exposures with different focuses, and some careful masking in Photoshop, a la this post.

3 comments:

  1. Well done! At least you HAVE a macro lens! That is probably #1 on my want-list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the performance go?

    The colors are spectacular, and it wasn't until I zoomed in that I could see that the anther was out of focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the delicateness of the petals, almost like they are transparent! Interesting dilemma with the macro lens. But I think as presented, this macro shot works well, and a lot of times I just manually focus rather than let the camera decide. (for instance, if you wanted that stamen to be completely in focus).

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see? Have a question? Leave me a comment!